Yarn orbs are fun ornaments you can use to decorate a wall, tree or use as a centerpiece.
Time to make one orb: 10 – 15 mins
Drying time: 8 – 12 hours (overnight)
- White liquid glue
- Yarn or Twine
- Wide shallow container good for dipping
- Petroleum Jelly
- Something sharp to pop the balloon
- Rubber gloves (Optional)
- Apron (Optional)
- Newspaper or Plastic cover (Optional)
- Cup (to place orb to dry) or area to hang orbs to dry
For every 2 oz of glue, you need 1/4 cup cornstarch and 1/2 cup of water.
One 2 Oz mixture is good enough for: 2 small orbs or 1 medium size orb.
1.Protect your surroundings with newspaper or plastic and ensure you’re covered because it can get messy!
2. Decide how much yarn or twine you would like to use because you will be sticking the whole yarn into the mixture. If you will be making many orbs, the easiest option is to stick the whole ball of yarn into the mixture with the beginning string sticking out.
3. Blow up the balloon(s) to the desired size.
4. Rub petroleum jelly all over the balloon(s), this prevents the yarn or twine from sticking to the balloon.
Mix the base
5. Mix glue, water, and cornstarch in a container that is big enough for you to move yarn around in.
6. Stir the mixture until smooth. It should look a lot like milk and be a fairly thin consistency.
Let the orbing begin!
7. Stick the yarn in the mixture, ensure the string is well soaked.
Option 1: Sticking the whole yarn ball in the glue
Option 2: Stick only a part of the string in the mixture soaking the string as you wrap.
- Twist the string around the balloon end lightly or place the string anywhere on the balloon.
- Wrap mixture covered strings in 4 quarters to stabilize the wrapping.
- Keep wrapping the strings around the balloon in random patterns, try to ensure there is equal spacing as you wrap. If you run out of yarn, it is okay to place a new yarn piece by sticking the new string somewhere on the balloon.
- When you are done wrapping the strings, tuck in the end string and ensure that it will not stick out.
- Use a cup or hang the balloon to dry for 12 to 24 hours.
- Once the strings are completely dry, get ready to pop the balloon! First, gently push down on the balloon through big holes to ensure the strings and balloon are not sticking together.Once you have done that, pop the balloon and slowly take out the balloon.
ALL DONE! Hang the orb up, or string a whole bunch of orbs together! Stringing in fairy lights makes a beautiful look.